- City Government
- Belfast Municipal Airport
Belfast Municipal Airport
Belfast Municipal Airport (Federal Aviation Administration airport code BST, International Civil Aviation Organization airport code KBST, Federal Aviation Administration site number 07837), located between the North and South phases of the Belfast Airport Business Park (the airport’s terminal/administration Building is located at 22 Wright Brothers Drive, Belfast, or at 44°24’34.2" North, 69°00’30.1" West), is a 218-acre general aviation airport, located at 197.6 feet above mean sea level. Runway 15-33 is the airport’s runway; it measures 4,000 feet long and 100 feet wide, and is paved and lighted.
The airport itself is open 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. Runway 15-33 is also open 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, unless it is closed due to poor surface conditions or due to other impacts (which will be communicated via the Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) system). You will be able to view current conditions from a new and improved live camera feed midwinter after a few remaining system "bugs" have been fixed. City staff are at the airport on an irregular basis only, and surface conditions are only reported/updated between 9 AM and 5 PM Monday through Friday, December through March (months when freezing temperatures occur on a regular basis).
Covid-19 Special Statement
Physical access to the airport property and terminal building by the general public is governed by 17-A M.R.S.A. Section 402. The terminal is only staffed part time and is not sanitized following every visit.
Please call 207-338-3370 x600 or 603-970-1947 if you need assistance.
Airport Facilities & Equipment
The UNICOM frequency for Belfast Municipal Airport is 122.975 MHz.
- 2 UNICOM clicks activates the Automated Weather Observing System (AWOSAV with ceilometer)
- 3 UNICOM clicks activates the low intensity runway lights and the runway end identifier lights (REILs).
- 5 UNICOM clicks activates the medium intensity runway lights and the runway end identifier lights (REILs).
- 7 UNICOM clicks activates the high intensity runway lights and the runway end identifier lights (REILs).
Tie downs and engine block heater outlets located at the newer, western apron (to the northwest of the terminal/administration building) are available on a first-come, first-served basis at no charge. Please note, the airport does not supply tie down ropes. The airport has a terminal/administration building with heat and air conditioning that is available to the aviation community, and there is also free wireless internet available (BST Guest) at the airport. Also please note, there is no fuel system at the airport at the current time so fuel cannot be purchased. We plan to have 100LL and Jet A by Summer 2022.
For all airport-related matters, please contact Airport Manager Kenneth Ortmann via office phone at (207) 338-3370 x600, text or voice via cell phone at (603) 970-1947 or email at email@example.com.
If you are a pilot who uses the airport and have suggestions on how it may be improved, or if you are a pilot who would like to use the airport but is currently unable to because the airport is lacking in infrastructure, in facilities, or in some other aspect, please share that information with the Airport Manager.
Airport Information Resources
- Airport Information AirNav
- Airport Information (FlightAware)
- Airport Information (FltPlan)
- Airport Information (SkyVector)
- Airport Master Record
- Automated Weather Observing System (AWOS AV) Conditions (This weather condition information can also be accessed by calling 207-930-7071 or via third party platforms XM WX Satellite Weather and ForeFlight.)
- Aviation Charts (iFlightPlanner)
- Facebook page for Belfast Municipal Airport
- Notices to Airmen (NOTAMs) (Please note that the City of Belfast typically updates airport runway conditions with NOTAMs only during weekdays from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m, during those times of the year when snow and other non-rain precipitation is common.)
- Belfast Municipal Airport featured in Belfast Community Television’s ’Somewhere in Waldo County’ (video)
- Belfast Municipal Airport Open House and Fly-In on Belfast Community Television’s ’Somewhere in Waldo County’ (video)
Fixed Base Operators Serving Belfast Municipal Airport
Belfast Municipal Airport has 1 fixed base operator:
DG Aviation LLC
Services provided: inspection, maintenance, and repair services for general aviation aircraft up to and including light twins; flight instructor on staff for biennial flight reviews and instrument proficiency checks; and short- and long-term hangar rentals.
Contact information: Dave Aldrich (Certified Flight Instructor, Certified Flight Instructor - Instrument): 207-338-0298 or 239-784-7472; Jim Watts (Inspection Authorization, Airframe and Powerplant): 207-631-3311
Car rentals are available from Enterprise Rent-A-Car ( 207-338-0945 or 800-RENTACAR). Enterprise Rent-A-Car can have vehicles available at the Airport with a prior arrangement. Maine is experiencing the same rental car shortage as the rest of the country, so reservations weeks/months in advance are strongly recommended!
Public Transportation Serving the Belfast Municipal Airport
The Waldo Community Action Partners public transportation route, shown below in blue, is currently a “Demand - Response” system available M-W-F. The system requests the public call with at least 24-hour notice to request a pickup. However, passengers are welcome to call any time to see about availability.
Please make sure to request a vehicle with bicycle rack if needed. Service animals can be accommodated. The regular non COVID charge per trip is $2.00 but the system is currently providing free fares Call the reservations group at 207-338-4769, Mon-Fri from 0700 to 1700. Click here for more information.
CG Bikes, located at 39 Main St Belfast ME 04915, offers rentals. Chris Gardner, Owner and Manager, strongly recommends calling one day in advance for reservations.
- Website/online shopping and info: https://www.cgbikesmaine.com/
- Call or text Chris: (207) 218-1206
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram: @cgbikesmaine
- Facebook: @cgbikesmaine
Rates: $25/day, $100/week, $300/month
Most rentals are multi-speed hybrids and hardtail mountain bikes, perfect for around town or setting off on a day-long adventure. They also have kids bikes and a tow-behind trailer. They are located a short and safe distance from the Belfast Rail Trail and will be happy to point you in the right direction.
Bike rentals include:
- Rack bag
- Water bottle cage
They have phone holders, water bottles, lights and more for sale in the shop. They have outlined and mapped their favorite rides on Ride Spot (https://www.ridespot.org/) and highly recommend downloading the app for turn-by-turn directions while riding.
They have great local riding available right out the door of their shop and offer delivery to the Belfast Municipal Airport at a reduced rate of $15. The delivery fee includes roundtrip drop off and pickup for up to 12 bikes.
Private Hangars at Belfast Municipal Airport
Limited space is currently available at the airport for the construction of new private hangars. For more information, please contact Airport Manager Kenneth Ortmann via phone at 603-970-1947, or via email or download an information packet (PDF). (Please note, while subletting of hangars is allowed, the Airport Manager does not maintain a comprehensive list of existing private hangars available for sublease.)
Business Development at Belfast Municipal Airport
Belfast Municipal Airport’s closed runway (10-28) serves as an ideal area for future commercial aviation development, an area consisting of 13 acres of level, dry land in close proximity to utilities. An access road currently connects this potential business development site with the south phase of the immediately adjacent Belfast Airport Business Park. The City of Belfast will potentially consider any business development proposal for this site that is be FAA-compliant. If you have interest in bringing your aviation-related business to Belfast Municipal Airport, please contact Airport Manager Kenneth Ortmann via phone at 603-970-1947, or via email, or download an information packet.
The purpose of this Request for Proposal (RFP) is to solicit offers from qualified producers and suppliers of aviation fuels and lubricants to supply bulk branded or non-branded Jet-A and 100LL/100UL Avgas aviation fuels for storage and resale, and to provide other business support services to the Belfast Municipal Airport, who is the sole provider of fuel, located at the Belfast Municipal Airport, in Belfast, ME.
The economic impacts of Airports
- The Economic Impact of Airports in Maine (executive summary) (PDF)
- The Economic Impact of Airports in Maine (full report) (PDF)
Recent (2019) construction of New Runway 15 Partial Parallel Taxiway and Runway 33 Bypass Taxiway.
A public information meeting to discuss the project, its schedule, and typical items of work anticipated during construction (such as trucking routes, dust mitigation, working hours, and blasting procedures was held on the evening of August 23rd, 2018, in Council Chambers at Belfast City Hall.
- Letter to Airport Neighbors Regarding Public Information Meeting on 2018.08.23 (PDF)
- Video of 2018.08.23 Public Information Meeting
Other documents related to this project:
- Bid Proposal Documents - Addendum 1 (PDF)
- Bid Proposal Documents - Plans (PDF)
- Bid Proposal Documents - Specification and Contract Documents (PDF)
- Detailed Memo with Appendices (PDF)
- Invitation to Bid (PDF)
2016 Airport Master Plan Update - Phase II
- Cover Page (PDF)
- Table of Contents (PDF)
- Chapter 1 (Introduction) (PDF)
- Chapter 2 (Inventory of Existing Conditions (PDF))
- Chapter 3 (Forecasts of Aviation Activity) (PDF)
- Chapter 4 (Airfield Capacity and Facility Requirements (PDF)
- Chapter 5 (Alternatives Analysis and Development Concepts (PDF)
- Chapter 6 (Airport Plans) (PDF)
- Chapter 7 (Financial Implementation Plan) (PDF)
- Appendix A (Glossary of Aviation Terms) (PDF)
- Appendix B (Project Advisory Committee Membership) (PDF)
- Appendix C (FAA Terminal Forecast and FAA Form 5010 for Belfast Municipal Airport) (PDF)
- Appendix D (Belfast Municipal Airport Recommended Actions from the Maine Aviation Systems Plan Update) (PDF)
- Appendix E (Belfast Municipal Airport Runway 15-33 Corridor Analysis) (PDF)
- Appendix F (Project Advisory Committee Presentations) (includes March 22, 2016 Public Information Session presentation) (PDF)
- Scope of Work, Schedule, and Budget (PDF)
- 1999 Airport Master Plan Update (PDF)
- 2008 Airport Layout Plan Update (PDF)