Vital records include birth certificates, fetal death and death certificates and marriage certificates. Maine law requires that a person requesting a copy of a record less than 100 years old must provide documentation establishing their direct and legitimate interest in the records.
Access to Records
Access to records is granted to the following:
- Descendants of the person named on the record
- Genealogists who have a Maine researcher identification card issued by the Centers for Disease Control
- Registrant's legal custodian, guardian, conservator, or respective authorized representative
- The parents named on the record
- The person named on the record
- The person's spouse or registered domestic partner
- Informant listed on a death record
To obtain vital records, please complete a Vital Records Request form and return it to the city clerk:
131 Church Street
Belfast, ME 04915
Proof of identity must be presented to obtain records along with a completed Vital Records Request form.