Comprehensive Planning Committee
- Once a month, see City Calendar
- City Hall, Council Chambers
131 Church Street
Belfast, ME 04915
Members: 7 Members/1 Consultant
- Jill Goodwin, Ward #1
- Thomas Fowler, Ward #2
- Tammy Lacher Scully, Ward #3
- Syrena Gatewood, Ward #4
- VACANCY, Ward #5
- Anne Saggese, At Large
- John Carrick, At Large
- Noel Musson, Consultant
- The Comprehensive Planning Committee shall be composed of seven members, with at least one representative from each of the five wards. Two members shall be considered At Large members.
The duties of the Comprehensive Planning Committee include:
- Monitoring the implementation of the policies contained in the comprehensive plan and advising the Planning Board and City Council as to consistency with the comprehensive plan when land use ordinances or amendments are being considered.
- Following a work plan mutually agreed upon or as directed by the City Council, and making recommendations to the City Council for changes to the comprehensive plan.
- Evaluating the merits of citizens' requests for changes to the comprehensive plan.
- Soliciting public views of preferred future development of the City, as it pertains to the comprehensive plan.
- Maintaining liaison with planning bodies in neighboring towns and with the state planning office and ensuring that the City's comprehensive plan is consistent with state requirements.
- Analyzing newly available data (e.g., census data) on population and property trends and advising the Council as to any changes in the comprehensive plan that the new data warrants.
- Reviewing the comprehensive plan to prepare recommendations to remove language or sections that are overly specific that should be contained in the implementation ordinances only, recognizing that the comprehensive plan is a policy document and that ordinances are the implementation of those policies. Duplication and redundancy should be eliminated.
COMPREHENSIVE PLAN UPDATE:
We want to hear from you!
The City of Belfast is updating its Comprehensive Plan. The Comprehensive Plan is a document that will help guide the priorities of the City over the next 10 plus years. As part of the process of updating this Plan, the City will be engaging with the public on multiple fronts. The first point of public outreach is a Community Survey. We ask that all members of the Belfast community take 5 to 10 minutes to complete the Community Survey to provide initial guidance to the Comprehensive Plan Committee as we work on the Plan Update.
The Community Survey is one of several opportunities that will be open for public input. The public input is critical in that it will shape the City’s vision for the future.
COMMUNITY SURVEY INSTRUCTIONS:
The Survey can be completed at the following link:
Hard copies are also available at the City Hall.
The Community Survey will be open until May 1, 2021.